American History X (1998)

American History X is a hard watch; it covers social commentary that is very difficult to discuss. Racial issues are always a tricky subject when it comes to any form of media yet American History X handles it appropriately with respect. With a brilliant performance from Edward Norton, the movie humanizes those who seem inhuman. The plot centers on Derek (Norton), who has served three years in prison for a hate crime, who tries to change the thoughts of his brother, Danny (Furlong), who is following the same path.

We, as the viewer, begin to relate to Derek, a man whom we originally thought was pure evil. His arch towards redemption is justified. As we get flashbacks to his time in prison, we see the true him come out from underneath. The flashbacks are incredibly obvious, however, as the director opted to choose black and white whenever a flashback occurs, which I suppose makes it easier for the viewer to orientate themselves.

Daniel's character arch, on the other hand, is more muddled. I found his arch far too fast. I also found his character quite dull, lacking the complexity that his brother had. Derek is a very well rounded character, we understand where his hatred sparks from, why he let reformed and the way he understands and sees the world. Yet for Daniel, it isn't very clear.

The film is incredibly on the nose. The themes are obvious and it isn't hard to analyze what is this film is trying to make the viewer understand. Take this as you will as it is neither good or bad. The movie shoves the central theme of a unified American peace into the viewer's face.

The ending also fell apart, in my opinion. I understand that the ending is supposed to make clear that racism and hatred lead to a tragedy yet the motives of the kid who shot Daniel don't make sense to me. I mean the two only interacted on one occasion where there was some tension. The ending felt forced and far too on the nose. At this point, it felt like the director was cramming this theme down my throat instead of letting me decipher it on my own.

Despite some flaws, American History X covers a topic that is prevalent in middle-class America today; which is commonly referred to as the poverty wheel. A cycle of ignorance and hatred. Derek stands to break this wheel. Derek is a man who never really hated those he claimed. Rather, he needed someone to blame for his pain. In my little experience in the world, I find this to be true in those filled with hatred. Derek found the light through the compassion of someone he hated, I think that's kinda poetic.
- GL

7 / 10


(Above) My favorite shot:

(Below) Runners-up:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If.... (1968)

Midsommar (2019)

Good Time (2017)